Texas Health and Human Services (HHS) is embarking on a multiyear project to expand, renovate and transform the state hospital system. State hospitals provide in-patient psychiatric care for adults, adolescents and children.
In 2017, the Texas Legislature appropriated funds to the project. In fiscal year 2018, HHS will begin the first phase of construction and other changes designed to:
- Enhance the safety, quality of care and access to treatment for Texans with mental health issues
- Expand capacity and reduce waiting lists for inpatient psychiatric treatment, particularly for maximum security units
- Increase collaboration with potential partners, particularly higher education and health-related institutions
Comprehensive Inpatient Mental Health Plan
HHS must submit a comprehensive inpatient mental health plan to the Governor and Legislature for the replacement or significant repair of state hospitals or other state-funded inpatient mental health facilities and to improve behavioral health service delivery.
As the plan was being drafted, stakeholder input was sought regarding what should be included. Read the Comprehensive Inpatient Mental Health Plan (PDF), submitted on August 23, 2017.
- June 12, 2017: Governor Abbott signs S.B. 1 into law and approved the appropriation of $300 million to HHSC for the construction or significant repair of the state hospitals.
- Aug. 10, 2017: HHSC holds public hearing to receive input on the state hospital system and mental health service delivery in Texas.
- Fall 2017: HHSC submits initial plans for transformation of the state hospital system, including a request to expend funds.
- Fall 2017: Funds become available.
Previous State Hospital Studies and Related Reports
- Texas Statewide Behavioral Health Strategic Plan: Fiscal Years 2017-2021
- Analysis for the Ten-Year Plan for the Provision of Services to Persons Served by State Psychiatric Hospitals
- State Hospitals and Academic Partnerships
- Planning Modern Psychiatric Care Facilities: Rusk State Hospital + Beyond(link is external)
- New Location Options for Austin State Hospital and Austin State Supported Living Center
- Recommendations for the Creation of a Comprehensive Plan for Forensic Services